>> Frequently Asked Questions


1. What type of drivers license do I need to hire a car in South Africa?

Any internationl drivers license with a photograph is acceptable.

Yes. The driver of the vehicle must be in possession of a credit card in order to collect the vehicle. A credit card is also required for payment with online bookings.

The insurance excess varies from one hiring company to another. This is the amount that the renter would be liable for in the event of an accident/theft or damage to the car.

Insurance options vary from one rental company to another. In some instances the excess is calculated in relation to the value of the vehicle while at times it is a flat or standard amount. 'Super' cover insurance however excludes damage to tyres, windscreen and undercover damage. In the case of 'Total' cover, there is no excess and tyres, windscreen and undercover damage are also covered.

Policies vary from one hiring company to another. Generally vehicles are allowed into Swaziland, Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana and Mozambique. Vehicles are generally not allowed to be taken into Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi. Some hiring companies charge a cross-border fee, while others increase the insurance excess when a vehicle is taken out of the country.

6. How old must I be to hire a car?

The driver of the vehicle must be older than 21 in order to hire the vehicle. Most rental companies will also charge an additional fee for renters who are between the age of 21 and 23.

7. What other amounts will I be charged for?

The basic rental amout for the vehicle will be charged before the car is collected. On collection of the vehicle a hold will be placed on your credit card for the following: fuel deposit; any extras such as additional driver, one-way drop off fees etc. These amounts are not actually charged, BUT the funds must be available on your card. The relevant amounts will only be deducted on drop-off of the vehicle.

back to top


Copyright to SA Car Rental 2004 - 2005. All Rights Reserved.